Welcome back, we hope you had a great Half Term. Our topic for Term 5 is ‘It’s a Bug’s Life!’ Our learning journey will begin with a special delivery of some tiny creatures for us to care for! We will be able to watch them grow and change.
Our key texts this term are:
Areas of Learning
Our focus in literacy this term is using our phonic knowledge to write stories using narrative language, adjectives, nouns and verbs. In reading, our phonics knowledge, high frequency and tricky words will develop further and we will be talking about the events in the books we read and predicating what will happen next.
In maths we are going to secure our knowledge of addition and subtraction with the support of objects. We will be using insects to help us learn more about doubles and halves.
We are going to be exploring 3D shapes through junk modelling and linking this to our music sessions. In addition to this we will be beginning to estimate and count in 2s, 5s and 10s. Alongside this, we will be exploring shapes and measures around the school.
Understanding the World
The children will also be making lots of observations and predictions about mini beasts. We will be taking a trip to the forest to look at natural habitats of different mini beasts and creating our own mini beast houses.
We would like to thank you all for your effort with last terms home learning tasks including reading with your children.
Please read with your child regularly.
It is really important that the children bring their book bags, reading records and their reading book into school every day.
Now that the children are using their sounds to blend new words, it is important that they begin to discuss each book and understand words such as ‘character’, ‘title’, ‘setting’, ‘beginning’, ‘middle’, ‘end’. When reading with your child please acknowledge the fact that the book has been read by signing, dating and writing a comment in the reading record book. We will continue to change their books on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
The Oak class reading competition is starting again this term. All children will be at the same starting point and a prize will be given, to the most consistent home reader, at the end of the term. Good luck!
Don’t forget for every 3 reads a week the children get a reading raffle ticket.
Letters and Sounds
Your child will be bringing home a new home learning book which will contain new learning challenges linked to their focus sounds and high frequency words.
Please can they practice writing these in sentences, finding them in their story books.
Please choose one or more of the following activities to enjoy at home and bring in before the end of term; these can be recorded in your home learning book:
- Make a mini beast out of junk modelling and share with your class.
- Take a camera around your garden or the park and take photos of any mini beasts you can find.
- Write a list of mini beasts that you find in your garden.
- Paint or draw a picture of an imaginary mini beast!
Websites and Links
- ictgames.co.uk and www.topmarks.co.uk for Literacy and Maths games.
- phonicsplay.co.uk Phase 3, 4 and 5 games, blending sounds and words.
- bbc.co.uk/cbeebies for literacy and math’s activities and games
- Please can you make sure your child brings in a water bottle, hat and their book bag each day.
- If you would like your child to wear sun cream, they need to be able to apply it themselves and bring in a named individual bottle.
- Our PE days are Thursdays but PE kits should be in all week.
- This term, Oak Class will be enjoying ‘Forest School’ on Wednesday afternoons.
We hope you all have a lovely term supporting the children in their learning. Please do not hesitate to come and speak to us if necessary.
Thank you for your support,
Miss Dudeney and Ms Eldridge
Find out the names of these creatures and bring them into your teacher!