Welcome back, I hope you all had a lovely half term.
Our topic this term is ‘Noisy Nightlife’. We will be spending time learning about nocturnal animals and winter celebrations such as Bonfire Night, Remembrance and Christmas.
As part of this topic, we will begin to look at ‘Light and Dark’, non-fiction books and will be writing letters, lists and invitations.
Some of the texts we will be looking at are:
Understanding of the World
- Learning about nocturnal animals
- Light and Dark
- Different celebrations such as Diwali and Christmas
Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- SEAL – Getting on and falling out
- Safety and rules in different situations
- Working together
Expressive Art & Design
- Diwali art
- Christmas craft
- Cards & Decorations
Communication and Language
- Listening and following instructions
- Thinking and talking about feelings
- Understanding and sequencing stories and events
- Fine motor skills – Holding pencils correctly, threading,
- Spatial awareness when moving
- Letter formations
- Counting skills & recognising numbers
- Exploring capacity and money
- Using mathematical vocabulary
- Understanding ‘more’ and ‘less’
- Letters and sounds, matching the written letter with the sound it makes.
- Writing captions, lists and letters.
- Exploring non-fiction books
I would like to thank you all for your effort with last terms home learning tasks including reading with your children. The children have already made great progress with learning sounds and every read will help this to become more secure. The homework will continue as last term.
|Reading||Please read with your child regularly.
It is really important that the children bring their book bags, reading records and their reading book into school every day.
When reading with your child please acknowledge the fact that the book has been read by signing, dating and writing a comment in the reading record book. We will continue to change their books on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
The Oak class reading competition is starting again this term. All children will be at the same starting point and a prize will be given, to the most consistent home reader, at the end of the term. Good luck!
|Letters & Sounds||Home learning books will be sent home every Friday. Please practice writing the sounds, finding pictures of objects that begin with these sounds, drawing, and writing short words that you can think of.
Please feel free to bring in small, named objects that begin with these sounds too!
As was the case last term, children are to place home learning tasks, once completed, under Miss Dudeney’s chair.
Key questions to ask your child at home:
- Which animals come out at night?
- Why does the world get dark?
- Who works at night time?
- What sounds can you hear at night time?
- www.ictgames.co.uk and www.topmarks.co.uk for Literacy and Maths games.
- www.phonicsplay.co.uk Phase 2 and 3 games, blending sounds and words.
- Please can you make sure your child brings in a water bottle and their book bag each day.
- As the weather is becoming colder and wetter, please ensure that your child has a coat with them.
- Our PE day is Thursday but PE kits should be in all week.
- Welly Boots – Please can all children have a set of wellies in school at all times, this is so we can use the field and outside areas when it is wet and muddy.
We hope you all have a great second term, supporting the children in their learning. We are very pleased with how much learning they have engaged with and are looking forward to seeing them progress further this term. If ever you have any queries, please do not hesitate to speak to either myself or Ms Eldridge.
Thank you for your continued support,
Miss Dudeney and Ms Eldridge